The Great Plains Buffalo Association has been established:
- To preserve the true nature, vitality and genetic diversity of the Plains buffalo, Bison bison.
- To promote more natural, sustainable management practices which respect and take into account the wild nature of buffalo.
- To promote the raising and feeding of buffalo on grass pastures and promote principles of sound grassland management.
- To demonstrate to the buffalo industry and the agricultural community the ecological and economic benefits of raising buffalo on grass utilizing a more natural management plan which takes into account and respects the hardiness and qualities which nature has provided.
- To encourage preservation of genetic diversity and discourage "genetic
tinkering" which only values a "bigger is better" philosophy.
- To encourage research to develop a better understanding of the natural hardiness of the buffalo and explore associated environmental and health related issues including:
- research on the nutritional value of buffalo meat especially that from grass fed buffalo.
- researching various aspects of the buffalo's naturally strong immune system.
- studying inter-relationships of buffalo and grassland ecosystems.
- To educate consumers about the healthy aspects of grass fed buffalo meat which provides a high protein, nutrient dense, lowfat meat for a better diet.
- To provide a system for recognizing and labeling grass fed buffalo meat and providing standards of quality thus assuring health conscious consumers that they are buying a product which is naturally raised and fed.
Back to Home Page